Bringing the Ocean to Society
For its 10th Anniversary EurOcean organized a high-level international event in scope of the celebration of its 10th Anniversary. This high-level Event, entitled "How to Communicate Marine Sciences and Technology? Bridging European Marine Information" took place at the Lisbon Oceanarium, in Lisbon, Portugal on November 6th, 2012.
The Event had the participation of high-level speakers on Ocean and Science affairs and was open to invited participants including Heads of major European Research Organisations and other key European policy and science organisations of the Marine and Maritime sector.
- Message from Máire Geoghegan-Quinn (EC), European Commissioner for Research, Innovation and Science
- Relevance of the Oceans for Human Societies, Wendy Watson-Wright (IOC-UNESCO), Executive Secretary and Assistant Director General, Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission of UNESCO
- Ocean Governance: International Context, Mário Soares (PT) Former Chair of the Independent World Commission on the Oceans; Former President of the Portuguese Republic
- EurOcean Accomplishments and Future, Per Nieuwejaar (NO), President of EurOcean; Director of the Research Vessels Department of IMR
- Marine S&T Communication to Policy-Makers, Brian Baird (US), Former Assistant Secretary, Ocean and Coastal Policy, California Natural Resources Agency
- Knowledge Transfer on Marine S&T, Sir Brian Fender (UK), President of the Institute of Knowledge Transfer (IKT)
- Marine S&T Communication to General Public, Jan Seys (BE), Chair of the Eurpean Marine Board Communications Panel
- Oceans and Society: A Cultural Change, Manuel Cira (FR), Head of Cultural Services of NAUSICAÄ; Coordinator of the World Ocean Network (WON); Coordinator of Sea for Society EU-FP7 project (SFS)