Who we are and what we do
This report, which was presented to the European Council for Research on 15th June 2000, recognised "the benefit of a focal point for information on marine science and technology, which could:
- facilitate access to relevant information;
- provide access to and develop marine quantitative indicators, including socio-economic data;
- compile and prepare information on trends on marine science and technology;
- help prepare synthesis to decision-makers;
- facilitate access to information to enhance cooperation between scientific and technological institutions, industry and other stakeholders;
- contribute to public awareness and educational programmes on marine issues."
Creation of EurOcean as a permanent structure
Portugal’s Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT) and the French Research Institute for the Exploitation of the Sea (Ifremer) decided to implement the recommendations of the above-mentioned report and signed a cooperation agreement in February 2002 to set up a centre for information on marine science and technology – EurOcean.
The idea of creating EurOcean was to have a permanent structure that could focus on creating, maintaining and making permanently available information on marine science and technology, overcoming the then lack of visibility and difficulties of information access.
The success and relevance of the EurOcean Network has been demonstrated over subsequent years with growing membership and involvement in numerous European projects and initiatives.
EurOcean Presidents and Pioneers
President of the Institute of Marine Research, University of Azores, Portugal (2006-2014)
President-Managing Director of Ifremer, France (1999-2004)
President of the National Forum for Ocean Affairs (2008-present), Portugal
Deputy-Director and Team Leader, Coastal and Marine Research Centre, University College Cork, Ireland (2002-2014)
Advisor at the Cabinet of the Minister of the Sea, Portugal (2015-present)
Head of the Ocean Office, Science and Technology Foundation, Portugal (2015)
Marine Board Executive Scientific Secretary, Belgium (1994-2001)